How Do I Update My Name or Address with the VA DPOR?

If you’re a contractor or tradesman in the state of Virginia, you’re probably at least a little bit aware of the state’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR). This is the state agency that oversees licensing for a wide range of professions throughout Virginia, including (you guessed it) tradesman and contractor licensing. 

If you’d like a little refresher on the DPOR, how they work, and what they need from you to issue and maintain your license, here’s a quick overview

The thing about the DPOR — like many other state’s licensing agencies — is that they’re not going to bend over backwards for you. Take, for example, the renewal forms they mail out. If you don’t have the proper address on file with them, you can be pretty sure they’re not going to seek you out and make sure they have the most updated information. That could mean missing your renewal paperwork — but your renewal will still be due on the same date.

Long story short, it’s important to keep your name and address updated with the Virginia DPOR. So here’s a quick look at how to do just that. 

Updating your address

Moving is a hassle, and not just because of the move itself. Beyond packing and unpacking boxes and hauling furniture, you also have to update your address in what feels like a million places. We hate to add one more to your list — but it has to be done.

As with most things with the VA DPOR, updating your address comes down to filling out a form. Fortunately, the state makes that form readily available on their Forms and Applications webpage. To save you the hassle of navigating that page, here it is as a fillable PDF. If you prefer a static form you can print out and complete, you can find it here.  

The form is just one page. You’ll need your old address, new one, and your Virginia contractor or tradesman license number. 

Updating your name

While less common than an address change, name changes do happen. And the DPOR has a form just for this situation. Again, you can find it on the Forms and Applications webpage. To give you quick access, though, here’s the printable form (the link for the fillable PDF doesn’t always work). 

If you’re changing your name as an individual, you need to include something to verify your legal name change, like a:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order

Business name changes can be just as complicated. In some cases, you’ll need to create a new business entity under your new name. 

Once you get those details hammered out, the rest of the form is pretty easy. Just make sure you have your contractor or tradesman license number handy. 

Updating your email address

One quick note: if you use either of these forms to update an email address, you’ll still need to use your old email address to login to the DPOR’s online services. 

Whether you’re changing your name or address, make sure you file the applicable form right away. If you don’t, you could miss important information from the DPOR, making it harder to maintain your license.